Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chicken Tacos

Tonight was one of my favorite dinners...chicken tacos! A long time ago, I found a recipe in "Simple and Delicious" magazine that I used as a guideline for developing my own recipe. These are absolutely delicious and super flexible!

The ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breasts (this makes enough for about 2 meals for the 4 of us)
- Juice of 2 limes (about 3 T)
- 1-2 Tbsp of Chili Powder
- about 3/4 of a jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed) or you can use a can of corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can of diced green chilis



Step1: Juice the limes. I found an old electric juicer at a thrift store for $3 and I love it!


Step 2:Trim up the chicken breasts (get rid of any fat on the sides) and place them in the crockpot.


Step 3: Pour the lime juice over the chicken breasts.


Step 4: Sprinkle the chili powder over the chicken breasts. Then mix is all around to coat both sides of the chicken breasts.

Step 5: Cook on high for about 3 hours or until cooked thru (you can also cook longer on low).
Step 6: Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred.


Step 7: Return the chicken to the crockpot and then pour over the salsa.


Step 8: Pour in the green chilis


Step 9: Add in either the black beans or corn (if you are really adventurous you can use both!). Then mix is all up and let it cook for about another half an hour to heat the beans/corn thru.

Serving: There are several ways that you can serve this. You can put it in flour tortilla shells and serve as tacos, you can place it on top of tortilla chips for nachos, or you can serve it like I did tonight. I fried up some corn tortillas in a skillet with a small bit of oil (or you can buy tostada shells for the grocery store). After I fried the shells and drained them I placed 1 on a plate with a bit of the chicken, and then added another on top of that with some more chicken. After that add your favorite taco toppings! For the kiddos, I just did 1 layer.

Here is a top view of mine. Doesn't necessarily look the prettiest, but man is it delicious!!!


Finally, a side view of it.

Other than the fried tortilla shell and possibly some of the toppings (I use low fat cheese and sour cream), these are relatively healthy tacos. My family absolutely loves these, and they ask for them often!

As always, let me know what you think of them!

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment